wiki:peoplelinks

People Links

People Links is a series of monthly talks addressed to MF/PL members about relevant political and technical issues. We'd like to co-host each talk with current May First People Link members. The objectives of the talks are:

  • To increase member consciousness and engagement
  • To build relationships among members
  • To conduct outreach since these calls will be open to non-members

Analía, a staff member of APC and also a MF/PL volunteer, will coordinate the initiative. Everyone interested in participating is welcome!

The initial proposal is to host these talks monthly, the first Thursday of each month at 6 PM East time.

We're aiming at one-hour events, with the following structure

  • Expected technical adjustments and waiting for late arrivals (5 minutes)
  • Brief intro about MF/PL (5 minutes)
  • Presenter's talk (15 minutes)
  • Q&A (20-30 minutes)
  • Wrap up (5 minutes)

Issues

A preliminary list of issues with tentative dates would be:

  • February: Violence against women and the internet, possible impacts on free speech, and measures that ISPs might take. (coordinated with APC)
  • March: Surveillance online and what to do to counteract it (coordinated with The Guardian Project or OTI)
  • April: Open source and intellectual property (example: what happened to YesLab - coordinated with the Yes Men and/or FORCE)
  • May: MFPL Privacy Policy: A policy to protect us all (coordinated with EFF)
  • June: Tech Talks: Introduction to MF/PL Control panel (coordinated with MFPL Support Team and tech members)
  • July: Libre Software: the economical, political and ethical dimensions of CopyLeft (coordinated with FSF or Creative Commons)
  • August: Tech Talks: How the Ticket system works - how to get support
  • September: People of color techie project (Coordinated with Progressive Tech Project)
  • October: Tech Talks: Introduction to MF/PL shared services: Social Network, File-sharing, Audio and Video conference system (coordinated with MFPL Support Team and tech members)
  • November: México report on Telecommunications Reforms (coordinated with AMEDI and MagNet)

Organizing

Previous to the talk

  1. Presenters (and organizers) write a synopsis of their talk
  2. We send the synopsis as part of the invitation

Logistics

  1. An initial invitation will be sent through the membership list (and Lowdown List?), and interested people would be added to a People Links list.
  2. We could have potential participants register for the calls will allow us to gather contact information.
  3. Discussion offered in Spanish and English, so we need support from the Internationalization team.
  4. Use Riseup Pad or other option for notes, visual materials, etc. Need a way to figure out how to manage questions. Many online conference call systems have options for managing this. We could use Riseup Pad for listing questions but it might be hard to follow.
  • (erq's suggestion) To reconsider the use of the email list and instead (or as a complement) think on the convenience of promoting the use of our friendica social network as a tool for further exchange.

Follow Up

  1. We can send an evaluation survey to get feedback after the fact.
  2. We should send out a list of resources or more information following the talks to the participants. Possibly this could include a recording of the talk or at least links to organizations, contacts for speakers, notes from talk.

Notes from Meeting on 12/19/13

Analia, Enrique, Abi, Hilary

The current plan for the first call is February 20th to not conflict with the LC meeting in Mexico The call will be coordinated with APC - right now potential candidates are Nadine Moawad the research project manager and Erika from Laneta

We decided to get early confirmation from the next four planned talks so we can add to the outreach. Hilary and Analia will work on this next week.

Outreach - in addition to an email blast, we want to go through the list of members for targeted outreach and ask the LC and Membership Team to help. We also want to create a nicely designed web flyer and web page. Enrique will ask Aaron to assist with the design. Analia will post a support ticket to ask for web help. We also want to make sure to invite membership involvement in future talks - this can be part of our outreach and also an announcement on the calls.

Tech - Abi raised the important question of tech capability. We need to make sure this runs smoothly - more smoothly than LC calls to date. Analia will add this to the support ticket - if we can get support staff on board in advance we can hopefully troubleshoot problems. Right now our system seems ok to handle 25 callers, and should be able to handle more but have to think about how to handle the QandA as well.

Schedule - Enrique is amending the above schedule to reflect our discussion about mixing up the tech talks and the people links dialogues. the tech talks will be more focused on our support staff giving updates about software, how to use the control panel and more. These will be more member focused.

The next meeting to discuss steps will be the upcoming Membership/Administration Team meeting. Hopefully we will get more volunteers to help with planning and outreach.

Last modified 6 years ago Last modified on Dec 19, 2013, 6:55:49 PM