wiki:projects/leadership-committee/dec-2011/proposals

Version 7 (modified by Mallory Knodel, 8 years ago) (diff)

--

Proposals for 2011 Leadership Committee Meeting

The regular operations of the organization include support, membership processing, server maintenance, and the day-to-day activities require to operate the organization.

The projects below reflect both proposed changes to our day-to-day work and project work that will build our organization into the future.

The numbers refer to the program goals identified by members at the September 2011 membership meeting.

  • Formalize and expand the support team (Goal #1). The support team has been an ad-hoc group of mostly NY based technologists. To take our supoprt infrastructure to the next level, the staff organize a regular once-monthly face-to-face to take place simultaneously in three cities to start: NYC, where our core team currently works, Mexico City, to take advantage of the opportunities Enrique and the Laneta expansion has brought about, and Boston to bring in the technologists Ross has been organizing with around Occupy Boston.

Budget: $1500 for travel, so we can have face-to-face exchanges between cities.

  • Continue supporting the United States Social forum (Goals #4 and #5). Continue our role on the National Planning Committee as members of the NPC and USSF leaders. Engage the National Planning Committee in its discussion of the coming Social Forum activities by supporting the proposal, originally made by us at the last NPC meeting, for regional/localized Social Forums with certain activities linked via the Internet as the format for the next US Social Forum. Support the People's Movement Assembly initiative when requested and where the specific PMA fits with our strategic iniatives. Continue to provide full technology support to the US Social Forum process via leadership of the Information, Communication and Technology working group.
  • Continue supporting the World Social Forum (Goals #1, #2, and #5).

Continue work within the World Social Forum process. The priority is to attend WSF IC meetings and the next WSF in 2013. Other important projects include leading the communications work towards 2013 along side organizers in the Mashrek/Maghreb region starting in March 2012 and sending delegates from the USSF ICT to forums in 2012.

Continue our support of the Palestinian movement with our priority involvement being in the November 2012 World Social Forum on Palestine in Brazil.

Collaborating with other organizations to bring delegates of MF/PL members to these forums and involve our support team is key to growing participation within MF/PL as well.

  • National and International policy work (Goal #5).

Continue and reinforce our work in the Association of Progressive Communications. The priority is to attend the next annual APC membership meeting and the IGF. It may additionally include membership in other international bodies such as CSISAC (OECD sub-committee), ICANN, and UN sub-committees.

  • General Support of movements, summits, and critical moments (Goal #5)

Aggressively monitor the Occupy movement and specifically work to incorporate into our membership the current 58 Occupy movement members we have. Work on developing a special set of "outreach tactics" to get them to use the various MF/PL systems including our site's blog.

Continue in the world Climate Change movement through participation in its activities and support technologically when called for.

Increase the capacity and commitment of our support team and members by supporting travel delegations to summits, forums, and other critical moments both internationally and nationally. Specifically, MF/PL's contribution rests on our expertise with Free Software solutions to live video streaming and other on-the-ground technical support solutions.

  • Launch the People of Color Techie Training program (Goal #6). Via the People of Color Techie Training Institute, organize a mentor/mentee pilot project pairing MFPL technologists with people of color from the movement who are interested in developing their system adminstration skills. The pilot project will involve 2 mentors, 4 mentees and 4 face-to-face trainings. Conduct the project in partnership with the Praxis Project and the Progressive Technology Project.
  • Build spanish language infrastructure of the organization (Goal #5). Develop a special work team for English to Spanish interpretation which oversees the introduction of Spanish language versions of all MF/PL public documents, notices, advisories and FAQs on the "how-to" pages of our website. Integrate Spanish language options for all official wikis. Maintain at least on "native Spanish speaker" on staff at all times.
  • Launch MFPL member training and feedback series (#2). Organize a total of four face-to-face and four online or phone-based trainings for May First/People Link that cover how to use various pieces of the May First/People Link infrastructure (control panel, webmail, etc.). Sponsor two "member feedback" sessions during the year at which all staff and at least three non-staff LC representatives will be present.
  • Define MFPL structure and decision making process (Goals #2 and #3)

Discuss working group proposal for decision-making process which will be implemented as a "test" during the first part of 2012 and then submitted, after LC evaluation, to the membership for its approval. Establish working LC group to develop and take up proposals for the organization's structure which will be submited to Members Meeting in mid-2012.

  • Organize Membership Meeting (Goal #2).

This proposal is to totally empower the Leadership Committee to host the yearly MF/PL membership meeting. This means that each year the LC will be responsible for setting the date and place for Members' Meeting. In reality, this will mean that the LC face-to-face yearly meeting will deal with the budget and project proposals, while the rest of the year will typically be devoted to mobilization towards the membership meeting and taking responsibility, in-part, for its logistical needs, too.

Date and place for the membership meeting should be decided and announced no later than May 1 of each year.