wiki:projects/leadership-committee/meetings/2012-11-15/notes.Es

En otros idiomas:

MF/PL Leadership Committee Meeting
2012-11-15
See you soon at 9:00 am Mexico City/10:00 am New York time[[br]]

Interpretation - Roberto/Enrique

dkg and joseph tomarán notas en etherpad en inglés; enrique en español
Roberto preguntó sobre quién necesita interpretación
dkg and joseph respondieron afirmativamente para interpretación del español
jamie suspende momentáneamente la llamada de skype para reducir la cantidad de personas que están usando ese programa y solicita a quienes pueden hacerlo llamen por teléfono a para establecer una conferencia telefónica que se una a la sesión skype
roberto solicita a las personas que se identifiquen cuando intervienen y pide que sus intervenciones sean cortas

Presentaciones

  • Jamie McClelland - cofundador, miembro en los personal y miembro también a través de su empleador el Proyecto para la Tecnología Progresista (PTP), así como actual director.
  • Alfredo Lopez - cofundador, ex-codirector, parte del equipo base (staff,) miembro en lo individual y miembro a través de su empleador el Proyecto Praxis
  • Hilary Goldstein - miembro individual, parte del equipo base (coordinadora de membresías), trabaja educación audivisual
  • Juan Gerardo Dominguez Carrasco - Miembro indivudual reciente
  • Aaron Moysen Garcia - miembro individual, ¡feliz de estar aquí!
  • Enrique Rosas - miembro por un año, parte del equipo base y promotor de MFPL en México
  • Mallory Knodel - ha estado en el equipo base y en el Comité de Dirección, es miembro individual y su empleador la Asociación para las Comunicaciones Progresistas (APC) recientemente se ha sumado como miembro, ella se encuentra en Montreal.
  • dkg - es un miembro en lo individual, trabaja para un par de proyectos más y participa en el Equipo de Soporte.
  • Joseph Lacey - es un miembro en lo individual y es miembro a través de Palante Tech. Es parte del Equipo de Soporte.
  • Roberto Tijerina - miembro en lo individual vive en Durham, NC, aunque se encuentra en Atlanta en este momento
  • Rasha Abdulhadi - Está en Atlanta. Es miembro a través del Proyecyo Sur (Proyect South) desde Atlanta, es coordina trabajo en tecnología y comunicaciones en el Sur de los Estados Unidos
  • Josue Guillen - Es uno de los cofundadores de PM/EP, Es miembro en lo individual y a través de mi empleador el Proyecto para la Tecnología Progresista.
  • Lourdes Godínez Leal - es coordinadora de información en Comunicación e Información de la Mujer (CIMAC), una agencia de información feminista que desarrolla su trabajo en México y Centroamérica

Ausentes:

  • Jack Aponte -- fue parte del Comité de Dirección durante el año anterior y es miembro a través de Palante Tech
  • Mike Lee - de Filadelfia, abogado de Liga Nacional de Abogados de los EU (NLG)

Jamie: La reunión está planificada para durar una hora y 15 minutos.

Bienvenida a tod@s

Este es el Segundo Comité de Dirección electo y su constitución es un paso importante en la democratización de la organización

Este año nuestras elecciones fueron competitivas y nuestra membresía realizó una elección considerando un número de nominaciones de entre las cuales pudo seleccionar. De manera personal tomo esta resposabilidad de una manera muy seria y estoy seguro que todos aquí también.

Me gustaría dedicar algunos minutos a que revisemos el proceso democrático de toma de decisiones en este espacio y abrir la discusión sobre ello. La democracia en nuestra asociación está en su infancia. Uno de los más importantes proyectos del CD este año es desarrollar este proceso y codificarlo. El panorama sobre este proceso en este momento inicia con la definición que la membresía hace para definir las prioridades generales de la organización y es el trabajo del CD hacer una interpretación de dichas prioridades y dirigir al equipo base en el trabajo que se ha proyectado. El año anterior la membresía aprobó seis prioridades y el CD elaboró 8-9 proyectos para que el equipo base los implementase. Enviaré una liga a la lista de proyectos, para que los nuevos miembros del CD, puedan ver esa lista y puedan utilizarla como referencia en la elaboración de los proyectos de este año.

Además de proponer y aprobar dichos proyectos para este año, me gustaría que el Comité de Dirección de manera más activa se sume en su desarrollo, creando subcomités para incorporarse y llevar a cabo dichos proyectos, por ejemplo:

  • promoción
  • fomalización del proceso democrático

Bienvenida a Lourdes

(Traducción en marcha)

Rasha: I wanted to ask about structures of how we expect to operate, what the time commitment is
Jamie: A commitement to come to one face-to-face meeting, which has normally been one day but perhaps we want to make it a two-day meeting. MFPL would pay for travel. We would probably pick New York City but we'll want to choose a location based on logistics, getting the most members in attendance. In addition, I believe the LC should have a minimum of 4 phone calls, of which this is the first. I expected LC members to spend 5 hours per month reading and responding to emails. And additional participation to subcommittees and taking on smaller tasks throughout the year.

Lourdes: first of all, my apologies for being late. i'm here and have a lot of questions. I want to know specifics about what the role of the committee is and what exactly we'll be doing in the next year.

Jamie: are there more specific questions about the relationship between the LC and the rest of the organization? Anything former LC members want to add to the relationship between the LC and the running of the organization?
Juan: Besides the things jamie mentioned, the LC has a responsibility to define the political and ideological direction of mayfirst
Jamie: Yes

Roberto: I wanted to ask about the possibility of the LC meeting not being in NY, since the membership meeting was just in NY.
Jamie: are you asking about the membership meeting or the F2F LC Meeting?
Roberto: LC meeting
Jamie: LC Meeting should be in the place that makes the most sense logistically -- both in terms of cost of travel and in terms of visas. New York City isn't a requirement, but might be the best option considering these.
Roberto: I was thinking if going to be inviting folks to the US, there may be other places in the US that might be easier/cheaper for hosting members from outside the US.
Jamie: MFPL can pay for travel, but if LC members can take that on, that's welcome, but we want to get as many folks to the LC meeting in person as possible.
El compromiso de MFPL para lograr la reunión anual del Comité de Dirección es reunir a sus miembros una vez al año, la reunión sería en Nueva York y MFPL podría pagar el viaje
Jamie: i'd like to discuss the decision-making process, and how the selection of the directors works.
Debemos discutir el proceso de toma de decisiones y cómo será la elección de los directores
Jamie: anyone on the LC can make a proposal and set a date for the decision to be made by. the date must be at least 72 hours *after* the proposal is made.
Cualquiera en el Comité de Dirección puede realizar propuestas y fijar una fecha para la toma de decisiones
Jamie: people can vote by phone if we have a scheduled phone call, or can vote by e-mail
Jamie: 50% of the LC (8 people) must vote in order for us to have quorum, and a simple majority can approve.
Jamie: we don't have a process for dealing with a tie.
Josue & dkg: practically speaking it does not pass.
Jamie: any LC member can delay a vote for up to 5 days if they feel it needs more discussion.

Alfredo: What is the procedure for an LC member to make a proposal? Can you clarify that?
Jamie: an e-mail sent to the leadership_committee@… or a phone call at anytime.

Alfredo: will we take up the structural issue about who oversees such a proposal, right?
Jamie: One of the most important issues is forming the committee that going to finalize this process. The process is wholly public.
Alfredo: you need to have people on the LC making sure that the entire LC is aware of the proposal, keeping track of the discussion, and the timing, etc.
Jamie: yes, we will be discussing co-chairs at this meeting, and this is part of being a co-chair

Alfredo: Could we use co-president in Spanish, which I think would be more clear?
[Yes's given]

Enrique: I would like to take a minute to explain to the Mexican LC members what the co-chairs
Jamie: I'd like to discuss co-directors before the co-chairs.
Enrique: Of course.

Choosing staff directors

Jamie: I'm going to make a proposal about this to be voted on within the 72 hours. This proposal is up for debate. I propose that two members of the LC be appointed co-directors of the organization. The directors have the responsibility of the day-to-day activities of the organization, interact with staff and report to the LC on the activities of the staff. I would like to propose Enrique Rosa and myself. I would provide a level of continuity for the organization and Enrique has provided an immense amount of support to the organization in Mexico, and having us both as co-chairs would be great for the organization.

Alfredo: one of the responsibilities of the co-directors is to be one of the principal spokespeople, but that wasn't mentioned in the responsibilities. is this a deliberate change or an oversight?
Alfredo: Entiendo que el director ha asumido la responsabilidad de ser vocero, ¿jamie esa seguiría siendo una responsabilidad? o ¿estás sugiriendo un cambio?
Jamie: that was an accidental omission, and i think that is one of the responsibilities of the co-directors
Jamie: fue una omisión accidental

Jamie: Other questions about this proposal? Opinions? Statements of support or opposition?
Juan: i am in complete agreement
Lourdes: support
mallory: support
Rasha: support - this seems like an opportunity and a challenge to synchronize our work betwen the USA and Mexico
Hilary: support
dkg: support
Aaron: support

Jamie: the vote isn't going to happen for another 72 hours, but i'd like to move on with the agenda.

Enrique: i want to thank jamie for putting this forward, and i want to support as we continue

Choosing Leadership Committee chair(s)

Jamie: I would like to move on to the co-chair positions. The LC has never had co-chairs before. If we choose co-chairs, it would be much more successfully this year. The co-chairs would have responsibility for running and organizing the LC meetings. Along with the co-directors they would also play a role as spokespersons for the organization. They would help facilitate communications(?) with the members. This would take pressure off the co-directors and spread responsibility across multiple individuals. I do not have a complete proposal for co-chairs. I need help from the LC. I propose Alfredo to be one of the co-chairs; I think he would make an excellent candidate.

I was unsuccessful in convincing Rasha who doesn't have the time. I tried to convince Hilary but as she pointed out that would create an unnecessary concentration in power. I'd like to open this up for discussion.
Rasha: i appreciate jamie's proposal. My declining the position is not a sign of lack of investment. I expect to be present. I also think that the co-chairs should embrace and reflect the full range of struggles within MF/PL. For my part, while i'd like to see a woman, person of color, or non-new-yorker, my main hope is that someone with time and skills to be present for agendas and building of structure can step forward.

Alfredo: thanks to jamie for his confidence in my work. I want to raise a concern about the description of the co-chair position. In the coming year, the position of spokesperson is going to be much more important than it ever has been (and it has been very important over the years). All member of the LC can speak for the org, imo, under the direction of the co-directors. But the principal spokespeople have to remain the co-directors. the chair of the LC is fundamentally an internal position. When we talk about the spokepersons of the organization, these people will be crafting the public face of the organization. The role of the chair as an internal position relates specifically to the LC and its activities. The LC chairs should not really have an external role, except as members for the LC. The external face should always be organized by the co-directors.
Jamie: I accept those changes to my proposal. Those make a lot of sense. Other comments, questions or reflections?

Enrique: I want to give the folks in Mexico a context about this . The organization was lead by Alfredo and Jamie, and when Alfredo stepped down, all the work fell to Jamie, which was too much for a single person. We'd like to spread that responsibility and work to more people to reduce the load on the co-directors.

Jamie: We don't have much more time for this meeting, so I'd like to give the proposal that we move forward with Alfredo as the chair and then use the next month to find a co-chair. Any question or comments on that proposal?
Juan: I'm in agreement.
dkg: support.
Hilary: I support the proposal for the extra time. But I was wondering what the process was for proceeding.

Jamie: I would like to ask for 1 or 2 volunteers for figuring out who the second co-chair will be. I would like to be one of those people. And if anyone else on this call would be willing to volunteer.
Josue: I can help with that process.
Jamie: One more volunteer please?
Juan: I would like us to consider that the other co-chair should be someone from Mexico.
Josue: that sounds great. we need your help to identify who that person is.
Jamie: can you join us, Juan?
Juan: yes

Jamie: I will be sending the proposals out via email, and everyone can vote in a transparent process.

Scheduling our face-to-face meeting

Jamie: There are many places we could have it, which I'd like to leave open for now, but I'd like to select 1 or 2 weekends for when to schedule it. I'd like to propose 2 weekend:

  • January 19th and 20th
  • January 26th and 27th

I'd like to hear from folks who can't make either of those weekends.

Mallory: i can participate remotely, but will be abroad until 2013-02-04
Hilary: I might have a conflict for the later weekend
Rasha: southern regional organizing chose Jan 21st as major organizing day. I won't be available the first weekend
Roberto: same as rasha, for the same reasons.
dkg: I have two major deadlines for two major projects at the end of January and beginning of Feb so it would be difficult for me to make the second and probably the first as well.

Jamie: I'm going to propose two more weekends

  • February 9th and 10th
  • February 16th and 17th

Roberto: The second weekend, the later date is the debrief of the 100 days of people, there's going to be a convergence after so the second is out for me.
Rasha: I have the same conflict as Roberto, but I also have to prepare ahead of time, so the first weekend I can participate remotely but not in person.

Jamie: I'd like to propose February 9th and 10th.
Propuesta reunión Cara a Cara del Comité de Dirección durante el 9 y 10 de Febrero de 2013

Joseph: Should we not find out the schedule of those absent?
Jamie: Yes, we will get their schedules via email.

Assigning Committee to work on compiling results from the membership meeting and issuing a report

Jamie: Since we're over time, I'd like to describe this agenda point but not have a full discussion. The membership meeting has contributed a lot of thinking about priorities but not finalized them. I think this is a big problem with our democratic process. I think the LC will need to organize a subcommittee to review everything from the membership meeting, process it and give a report. Unless there are objections on this call, I would propose Enrique and I would work with Alfredo to make a proposal about who could be the LC members to take this and a few other items on. Are there any objections?

Enrique: I'd like to ask if there is anyone on the call that wants to volunteer to help with this work to be involved from the beginning.
Rasha: I'm interested in being a part of this.

Jamie: Anyone else for this? Or any other final comments for th call?
Mallory: I think I missed a bit of the call. I support Jamie and Enrique as co-directors.

Jamie: I'd like to close the meeting now. I want to give everyone a sincere welcome to the LC. What we are doing for me personally and politically is unprecedented in my life. Just this phone call, we're overcoming an immense technical and interpretative hurdle. But this pales in comparison to the broader political hurdles we have in front of us, but the LC is the right group to forward for I would like to thank everyone for their participation. And Roberto in particular for his interpretations. And the note-takers.

dkg: Joseph and I will be in touch about the technical arrangements of these phone calls. We'll be in touch about what you can do technically. We're hoping to have a better technical arrangement for the next meeting. I'd like to give a huge thank you to Roberto for interpretation and Jamie for facilitating

en↑--------es↓ ¡Hasta pronto (9:00 am México/10:00 NY)!

  • Interpretación - Roberto / Enrique

dkg y joseph transcribir en ingles, enrique en español

  • Presentaciones

  • Expectativas y alcance del Comité de Dirección y cómo el

Miembro, Comité de Dirección, y el personal trabaja en conjunto.

  • Elección de directores de personal
  • Elección de presidentes del Comité de Dirección
  • Programación de nuestra reunión cara a cara.
  • Asignar Comité para trabajar en la compilación de los resultados de la

reunión de miembros y emitir un informe

Last modified 7 years ago Last modified on Nov 19, 2012, 6:30:24 PM