Opened 4 years ago

Closed 4 years ago

#8326 closed Bug/Something is broken (worksforme)

new host with mediawiki redirecting to outside site

Reported by: https://id.mayfirst.org/historicuss Owned by: https://id.mayfirst.org/dskallman
Priority: Low Component: Tech
Keywords: mediawiki lang-en chelsea Cc: historiCUSS
Sensitive: no

Description

we are adding hosts for natgat2014.net but won't change registrar dns record until they are prepped and working.

natgat2014.net -> ng3net.mayfirst.org (future home) dev.natgat2014.net -> dev0n.mayfirst.org (drupal installed) wiki.natgat2014.net -> wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org (media wiki installed)

first 2 are accessible, showing mayfirst.org landing. the wiki is not working as it is being redirected outside to the WAN.

I created hosting order for wiki.natgat2014.net with users wikiwikardo so home is wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org on chelsea

I go to wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org but it ignores local dns/server aliases and tries to connect to the existing live natgat2014 hosted elsewhere.

wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org -> http://wiki.natgat2014.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Perhaps it will work properly when we change the registrar's dns settings to point to MF ns. This is non-critical and can wait until we go live. But if some error is obvious, please advise. Maybe something the mediawiki install altered is the problem.

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by https://id.mayfirst.org/dskallman

  • Owner set to https://id.mayfirst.org/dskallman
  • Status changed from new to assigned

I believe you will need to add an A record to the DNS where natgat2014.net was purchased for each of the sub-domains. So two A records will need to be created:

  • wiki.natgat2014.net pointed to 64.145.66.156
  • dev.natgat2014.net pointed to 64.145.66.156

Do you know if that's been done?

comment:2 Changed 4 years ago by https://id.mayfirst.org/historicuss

That was never done for dev.natgat2014.net yet it works fine.

None of the DNS natgat2014.* domains have been updated at the registrar. There are no entries on the registrar's DNS for either dev.* or wiki.* These only exist on the Mayfirst server and DNS.

We are not ready to do live on the main domains so right now we are accessing natgat2014.net via ng3net.mayfirst.org and dev.natgat* vis dev0n.mayfirst.org

something different seems to be happening with the future site for wiki.natgat2014.net

Without mediawiki, just a fresh hosting order, I can reach the site as expected via wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org and get the standard "This is the future home of the wiki.natgat2014.net web site." message from index.html.

After I install mediawiki, it is redirecting to the future actual domain for some reason. The other 2 host sites with drupal don't do that.

Because it is redirecting somehow to the future hostname, it gives this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, cgiadmin@… and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

currently: wiki.natgat2014.net = [66.96.147.113] wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org = [64.145.66.156]

comment:3 Changed 4 years ago by https://id.mayfirst.org/historicuss

I edited LocalSettings.php

## The protocol and server name to use in fully-qualified URLs $wgServer = "http://wiki.natgat2014.net";

to be: "http://wikiwikardo.mayfirst.org";

It now works. Looks like after the DNS cut over when the main site goes live this will have to be changed back.

I do not recall the install procedure, but I do not think there was any instructions on what domain/server URL to use. Advising to use the user.mayfirst.org host until DNA is active might help.

comment:4 Changed 4 years ago by https://id.mayfirst.org/dskallman

Hi Glen,

The dev.natgat2014.net is going to http://natgat2014.net/, which is a site on Interoccupy.net, so for each domain you will need to to update/add an A record for each sub-domain for it to point to the right hosting order and can be used for development or to access with the natgat2014.net sub-domain. This would be done where the domain was purchased, not in the MF control panel, since the name servers aren't being used.

Thanks,

Dana

comment:5 Changed 4 years ago by https://id.mayfirst.org/historicuss

  • Cc historiCUSS added

comment:6 Changed 4 years ago by https://id.mayfirst.org/historicuss

  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from assigned to closed

natgat2014.net is going to be under interoccupy.net, in the future, when the site is ready for the public. We are developing it at ng3net.mayfirst.org but until that happens, the registrar's records point to other NS and other host servers, not io.net yet.

dev.natgat2014.net and wiki.natgat2014,net are only on the mayfirst name servers. they have not been created on the registrar's dns or their host parking server.

It will be 3 or 4 weeks before we cut over to make these sites public and the workaround I did by editing the wiki LocalSettings.php file at least makes it accessible now which it wasn't before.

so works for me - closing

Please login to add comments to this ticket.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.