Opened 3 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

Last modified 12 months ago

#11833 closed Bug/Something is broken (worksforme)

Chinese language when trying to configure mailman list

Reported by: Lu Pa Owned by: JaimeV
Priority: Medium Component: Tech
Keywords: mailman Cc: Jamie McClelland
Sensitive: no

Description

After email is received, I click on it and mailman interface (first time connection) appear in Chinese.

I can bypass it because I know the interface, but some other users could have problems on it.

screenshot attached

Attachments (1)

Selección_235.png (131.6 KB) - added by Lu Pa 3 years ago.
mailman's screenshot

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (8)

Changed 3 years ago by Lu Pa

Attachment: Selección_235.png added

mailman's screenshot

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by JaimeV

Owner: set to JaimeV
Status: newassigned

That is strange. The default language should be english as set in default settings for all new lists in in the mailman server leslie.mayfirst.org

I've confirmed that /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py has this variable is set as:

DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en'

Normally you can enter the interface at least once in english and add other languages to the list of available_languages and default_language.

So I'm not sure why you weren't able to see the interface in english unless for some reason your browser was not able to display in english and falls back to any available language.

I have noticed that all new lists always have the zh_TW Chinese in the list of available languages and this cannot be removed. If the above is true that would explain why your browser used Chinese as the fallback.

Maybe we should consider setting the variable "AVAILABLE_LANGUAGES" explicitly in /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and adding a few other languages members are likely to use.

I'd like to run some tests to see if I can recreate your error. What is thedefault language and variant for your web browser and operating system?

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by Lu Pa

My browser is Firefox 46.0.1 on Linux (Ubuntu based)

my language configuration: http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1465246037.png

tell me if I can help in any other way

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by JaimeV

I wasn't able to reproduce the error by just adding the es_UY.utf8 locale to my system and setting that as the default. I suspect it may be that if I still have the en_EN.utf8 local available on my system the browser is able to fall back to it. I'm not sure. What is the output you receive when you type "locale -a" in the console. That command should list all of your available locales.

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by JaimeV

Resolution: worksforme
Status: assignedfeedback

comment:5 Changed 3 years ago by automatic

Status: feedbackclosed

No news is good news (we hope)! Given the lack of feedback, we think this ticket can be closed.

comment:6 Changed 12 months ago by JaimeV

Cc: Jamie McClelland added

After updating mailman I noticed that the variable DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE in /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py has been set to 'zh_TW' again. This is overwritten to DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'en' by puppet but it is wrong that it should be changed in the first place.

This bug report suggests the problem is not the mailman package itself but debconf

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mailman/+bug/1748386

Following those instructions I've done the following.

0 leslie:~# echo "set mailman/default_server_language en" | debconf-communicate

Hopefully that should avoid this regression in the future.

comment:7 Changed 12 months ago by JaimeV

I've also done the same for assata where the default_server_language in debconf was set to 'de'.

Please login to add comments to this ticket.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.