Opened 3 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

#11619 closed Bug/Something is broken (fixed)

outgoing email is not working

Reported by: Rose Viviano Owned by: Jamie McClelland
Priority: Urgent Component: Tech
Keywords: Cc: Jamie McClelland
Sensitive: no

Description

The two email accounts connected to our account are not sending outgoing mail (we think since Saturday) We are receiving incoming messages. kimberley@…

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by JaimeV

Cc: Jamie McClelland added
Owner: set to JaimeV
Status: newassigned

There was an excessive accumulation of mail in the queue for your primary server julia.mayfirst.org that was caused by two drupal websites on the same server being flooded with fake signup requests. I've disabled automatic user signups for https://members.mayfirst.org/cp/index.php?area=hosting_order&hosting_order_id=1000135 and https://members.mayfirst.org/cp/index.php?area=hosting_order&hosting_order_id=1000083 using the method described in #10816.

After deleting the false signup messages form the queue and attempting to flush the queue again i still see some messages from artragegallery.org stuck in the queue. I am not sure what the cause of this is. Cc'ing jamie here for more input

Can you check if you are able to properly send new mail now?

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by Rose Viviano

Still doesn't seem to be working. We have two employees with the artragegallery.org emails and we can send emails to each other (but not to anyone else)

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by JaimeV

Owner: changed from JaimeV to Jamie McClelland

Yes I see julia seems to be having a problem looking up some external domains. Let's get jamie's help with this.

Apr  4 18:56:48 julia postfix/qmgr[5519]: 42A314A068: from=<kimberley@artragegallery.org>, size=1288, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Apr  4 18:56:48 julia postfix/error[3832]: 42A314A068: to=<kimberleymcc@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=6993, delays=6993/0.03/0/0.19, dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: Host or domain name not found. Na

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by Jamie McClelland

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Mail should be flowing now. Thanks for the heads up. The reason this problem was not addressed very quickly for us is because nearly all other members using julia have switched to sending email via the server: mail.mayfirst.org. Sending email via julia itself is still supported (barely) but we are encouraging all members to make the switch.

In your email program - you should change both your outgoing and incoming email servers from julia.mayfirst.org to mail.mayfirst.org as outlined in our FAQ:

https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/faq/email/configure-email

Tech note: the reasons we were experiencing this problem is because postfix cached the resolver IP addresses of our previous colocation center, so even though they were updated, they were not being used by our mail server. I stopped and then started postfix for the changes to take effect.

Please login to add comments to this ticket.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.